In this video, learn how to execute queries against SQLite using Room. Annyce explains how the query results are returned and how to display the records in a RecyclerView.
- [Instructor] Before we can update our dataSource class…to retrieve all of our recipes,…we need to add the query methods to the DAOs.…So we're gonna start by adding one here to the RecipeDao…and we're gonna call it getAllRecipes…and it's going to return a list of recipe objects.…So right underneath where we have the createRecipe method,…we're going to add a new one that returns a list of recipes.…It's gonna be called getAllRecipes…and then we're going to add the @Query annotation…here on line 17.…
Inside, we're going to provide our select statement…and that's going to be SELECT * FROM recipe…and this is how we're going to query our database.…Now one thing that's really helpful with Room…and Android Studio is that you can get feedback…if your SQL statements are invalid.…For example, let's say we accidentally…misspell the word FROM…and instead of F-R-O-M we put F-R-M.…We get inline feedback so that we can fix our mistake.…
Now let's put back the O.…There's also compile-time verification…so that if there's an actual error in our SQL,…
To begin, Annyce Davis reviews using the de facto data persistence solution available on Android: SQLite. She takes you through basic SQLite concepts—such as how to create a database wrapper and insert data into a table—as well as a few more advanced topics. Next, she covers working with Cupboard, an open-source project dedicated to simplifying your SQLite interactions. To wrap up, she dives into working with Realm, an object database solution designed with mobile devices in mind. Throughout the course, Annyce discusses establishing relationships between database tables, creating and running queries, as well as performing data migrations.
- Overview of SQLite
- Defining a database table's schema
- Exploring SQLite create table syntax
- Executing create table statements
- Inserting data with a foreign key relation
- Inspecting the database using a terminal
- Updating and deleting records
- Working with Cupboard
- Working with Realm
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/24/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover working with Room.
Learning Firebase Cloud Messaging for Androidwith Joe Marini52m 49s Intermediate
1. SQLite Basics
2. SQLite Beyond the Basics
3. Working with Room
4. Working with Cupboard
5. Realm Basics
6. Realm Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.