There are many other courses available to help you improve your Android development skills, including more advanced content on managing and presenting data and building complete apps from start to finish.
- [David] Thanks for joining me for this course…on building apps for Android and integrating them…with RESTful Web Services.…You can learn about working with data in Android apps…with these courses.…In Android App Essentials: Local Data Services,…I describe how to store data persistently…on an Android device with a variety of techniques…and also how to work with the RecyclerView component…to display and manage data in lists.…In the course, Building a Note-Taking App for Android,…I take you through the process of building a complete app…from start to finish that uses SQLite…and some other data management techniques.…
If you want to learn how to integrate Google Play services…into your Android apps, you can watch the course…Adding Google Maps to Android Apps.…There are many other courses available,…including one on building Android apps…with the Fragments API to allow the app to adapt…to different screen sizes and pixel densities.…And Building a Game App with the Android SDK,…which take you through the process…
IInstructor David Gassner starts with an overview discussion about available networking strategies, and then dives into how to declare networking permissions, make network requests, handle responses, parse data returned from a web service, and pass user credentials to services that support HTTP basic authentication. He also provides an overview of popular higher-level networking libraries, including OkHttp and Picasso, and offers recommendations for improving performance in network-connected apps. David also covers using static feeds, using dynamic PHP pages hosted on a public server web service, and integrating apps with network data storage.
- Integrating mobile apps
- Communicating with Android
- Preventing app freezes with background threads
- Preparing an app for network communication
- Declaring permissions
- Checking network connectivity
- Retrieving data over the web
- Using traditional APIs
- Using third-party libraries