Before you export your app to an APK for distribution, you should check its version. There are two version values, and they are both stored in the build.gradle file for the app module. The version code is the internal version. It is always an integer, and has to be incremented each time you uploaded a new APK. The version name is an arbitrary string that the user sees, and can be set to anything.
- [Instructor] Before you export your app…to an APK for distribution,…you should check its version.…There are two version values,…and they're both stored in the build.gradle file…for the app module.…You can find them in the project window under Gradle Scripts…and you want to open the one marked as module.…The app version is noted twice.…There's a version code and a version name.…The version code is a numeric value,…and it has to be an integer.…No fractional values are allowed,…and the first version of any app…usually has a version code of one.…
When you release that version of the app to an app store,…the numeric version code is used…to guarantee the APK's uniqueness.…There can only be one APK in the app store…with a combination of a particular application ID…and a particular version code,…but you can have more than one APK…with different version codes if,…for example,…you have one APK that supports older versions of Android…and one that supports newer versions…or you might have one APK that's in the production channel…
- Packaging apps in APK files
- Building a signed APK file
- Distributing through Google Play
- Adding app graphics
- Setting pricing
- Publishing the app
- Submitting an app to Amazon
- Tracking app use in Google Play and Amazon
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Game App with the Android SDKwith David Gassner2h 6m Intermediate
1. Know Your Distribution Options
2. Package and Test the App
3. Distribute through the Google Play Store
4. Distribute through Amazon
5. Track an App's Usage
Next steps1m 14s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.