In this video, Emmanuel Henri introduces what widgets are and what approach this course takes.
- [Instructor] If you're not familiar with widgets, … they are the extensions of your application … that you can install almost anywhere in your app … to get a summarized view of an application. … They can be moved anywhere, … and be resized as the users see fit. … Android documentation speaks of a few different types … of widgets you can decide to develop. … So let's explore these different categories. … You have the information type, which provides a summary … of information from the main application. … A weather app is a good example. … Then you have control widgets, … which allow you to do specific task in the widget. … For example, a to-do list widget would allow you … to quickly add new to-do items. … You also have a collection widget, … which allows you to see a list of items inside of a widget. … For example, the list of to-dos or your emails. … And in most cases, … your widgets will be a combination of those. … So a to-do application widget … most likely would have the current list of to-dos, …
- Design guidelines for Android widgets
- Creating the widget layout
- Working with the AppWidgetProvider class
- Adding functionality with provider functions
- Pinning app widgets