IInstructor David Gassner starts with an overview discussion about available networking strategies, and then dives into how to declare networking permissions, make network requests, handle responses, parse data returned from a web service, and pass user credentials to services that support HTTP basic authentication. He also provides an overview of popular higher-level networking libraries, including OkHttp and Picasso, and offers recommendations for improving performance in network-connected apps. David also covers using static feeds, using dynamic PHP pages hosted on a public server web service, and integrating apps with network data storage.
- Integrating mobile apps
- Communicating with Android
- Preventing app freezes with background threads
- Preparing an app for network communication
- Declaring permissions
- Checking network connectivity
- Retrieving data over the web
- Using traditional APIs
- Using third-party libraries
Skill Level Intermediate
- [David] My name is David Gassner. This course for Android developers describes how to integrate your mobile apps with restful web services. I'll start with an overview of different methods for communicating with web services from Android. And will describe some techniques for working with background threads to make sure that your web service calls don't freeze an app's user interface. I'll then describe how to prepare your app for network communications, including declaring permissions and checking network connectivity. And then, I'll show you a number of different ways to retrieve data over the web using both traditional Java APIs and some third party libraries that can greatly simplify your code and make your app more maintainable.
I hope this course helps you get started working with web services in your Android apps.
Android App Development: Data Persistence Librarieswith Annyce Davis4h 52m Intermediate
Google Firebase for Android: First Lookwith Joe Marini1h 16m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Manage Multithreading in Android
3. Requesting Data over the Web
4. Working with Binary Responses
5. Sending Data to Web Services
6. Manage HTTP Requests with Libraries
7. Manage RESTful APIs with Retrofit 2
Next steps1m 14s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.