Learn how to insert data into your SQLite database using the put method from Cupboard's DatabaseCompartment class.
- [Instructor] Inserting data into…your database is trivial using Cupboard.…We're going to update the data source classes…createRecipe method.…Previously with SQLite Raw, we had to use the content values…class in order to insert a new record.…Now, we can rely on the abstraction layer that Cupboard…provides, and achieve the same result in one line of code.…Here on line 40, where we have our Row ID variable defined,…we're going to replace the zero with a call to Cupboard…and let's go ahead and click alt enter, so that we can…static import the cupboard method.…
Then, we're going to call, with database.…Passing in our instance of the database.…And finally, we will call the put method, and we're going…to pass in the recipe that we received as a parameter.…If we take a look at the source code for the put method,…let me just click here,…we can see that it takes an entity, we can see that it…does the work of creating the content values for us…starting on line 212, and then inserting the record.…
So there's no magic happening here when you use Cupboard.…
To begin, Annyce Davis reviews using the de facto data persistence solution available on Android: SQLite. She takes you through basic SQLite concepts—such as how to create a database wrapper and insert data into a table—as well as a few more advanced topics. Next, she covers working with Cupboard, an open-source project dedicated to simplifying your SQLite interactions. To wrap up, she dives into working with Realm, an object database solution designed with mobile devices in mind. Throughout the course, Annyce discusses establishing relationships between database tables, creating and running queries, as well as performing data migrations.
- Overview of SQLite
- Defining a database table's schema
- Exploring SQLite create table syntax
- Executing create table statements
- Inserting data with a foreign key relation
- Inspecting the database using a terminal
- Updating and deleting records
- Working with Cupboard
- Working with Realm
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/24/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover working with Room.
Learning Firebase Cloud Messaging for Androidwith Joe Marini52m 49s Intermediate
1. SQLite Basics
2. SQLite Beyond the Basics
3. Working with Room
4. Working with Cupboard
5. Realm Basics
6. Realm Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.