Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Features of the note-taking app, part of Building a Note-Taking App for Android.
- Plain Ol' Notes is a very simple app,…implementing only the most basic features…of any note taking application…Using this app, you can create…and edit simple text-based notes.…It doesn't have more complex features…that are implemented in apps like Evernote or OneNote…such as saving and displaying date information,…keeping track of where a note was created and so on.…But it does allow the user to save the data persistently…so that it sticks around between app and device launches…and it's very easy to use.…
It has easily discoverable patterns…that let you look at your data…and type data in.…For data entry and display, there are two screens.…The first, is known in Android as the main activity.…Each screen in Android is an actvity.…This activity has a list and each note is displayed…as a single item in the list.…The second screen is called the editor activity.…When you touch the plus button on the first screen…or you touch one of the existing notes,…you'll go to this second screen…and you'll be able to immediately enter your note.…
Building a Note-Taking App for iOS 8 and Building a Note-Taking App for Windows Phone 8 and Windows Store use the same assets to develop a similar app. Compare and contrast the steps and discover the similarities and differences between the three platforms.
- Understanding Android UI and data management patterns
- Creating an Android Studio project
- Customizing material design theme colors
- Defining an SQLite database structure
- Managing data with ContentProvider and Loader classes
- Retrieving and displaying data
- Customizing data display with a CursorAdapter
- Creating, updating, and deleting notes
- Preparing the app for deployment