Join Michael Lehman for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring connectivity options, part of Programming the Internet of Things with Android.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- We talked about faster and smaller,…but what about other ways to connect?…Well, a lot of Android devices right now…have what's called Near Field Communication or NFC.…It's being used across industries for both…being able to detect close proximity to a device,…similar to the way a badge reader might be used…to allow you into a door in a corporate environment,…NFC can be used to have your phone record…that you were in the proximity of a security station…or a warehouse location…or in a particular department of a company…saying you got there, you checked out what was going on,…and you can verify you were actually…in the right place at the right time.…
Beyond WiFi and Bluetooth,…there's other kinds of radio communication…that are coming down the road.…They'll be additional kinds of higher speed…than Bluetooth low energy and richer connectivity,…maybe a higher level of abstraction then WiFi…coming to Android devices in the not too distant future.…So, just don't limit yourself to thinking…you can only do it the way you've always done it.…
- Exploring the Internet of Things
- Understanding sensors and effectors
- Connecting inputs and outputs
- Connecting to devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Creating Bluetooth apps using Android
- Creating your own things with programmable hardware
- Using IFTTT to program things
- Exploring the trends in things
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Note-Taking App for Android (2013)with David Gassner3h 7m Intermediate
Connecting Android Apps to RESTful Web Serviceswith David Gassner3h 24m Intermediate
Programming the Internet of Things with iOSwith Michael Lehman2h 49m Intermediate
1. The Internet of Things (IoT)
2. Composing a Thing
3. Connecting to Things
4. Creating Things
5. Managing Your Things
6. The Future of IoT
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.