Join Michael Lehman for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring the IoT universe, part of Programming the Internet of Things with Android.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Let's do some exploring of the IoT Universe.…"The most profound technologies are those that disappear.…"They weave themselves into the fabric of everyday life…"until they are indistinguishable from it."…This is Mark Weiser from Xerox PARC, in 1991, 25 years ago.…That was the vision.…Now the reality is here and let's talk about how…the different kinds of components can…make that reality real.…We'll being by thinking about the purposes of things,…who makes things, categorizing things into different…kinds of groups, connecting inputs and outputs,…and then connecting to the network.…
So, things fall into a variety of different kinds of groups.…Internet of Things things are good at providing protection,…monitoring your health, providing omniscience,…meaning knowledge of what's going on around you…even though you're not physically there,…a human connection and mobility.…Who makes things?…Well, things are made by people in all walks of life.…Artists, engineers / hackers / developers,…perhaps like yourself, designers and crafters.…
- Exploring the Internet of Things
- Understanding sensors and effectors
- Connecting inputs and outputs
- Connecting to devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Creating Bluetooth apps using Android
- Creating your own things with programmable hardware
- Using IFTTT to program things
- Exploring the trends in things
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Note-Taking App for Android (2013)with David Gassner3h 7m Intermediate
Connecting Android Apps to RESTful Web Serviceswith David Gassner3h 24m Intermediate
Programming the Internet of Things with iOSwith Michael Lehman2h 49m Intermediate
1. The Internet of Things (IoT)
2. Composing a Thing
3. Connecting to Things
4. Creating Things
5. Managing Your Things
6. The Future of IoT
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.