Join Michael Lehman for an in-depth discussion in this video Detecting notification updates, part of Programming the Internet of Things with Android.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- All right, so now let's go ahead and take a look…at Bluetooth LE service and see how we actually…make sure that the notifications flow all…the way through and how the data flows through…so we can see it on the screen.…So when you would say to a characteristic,…I want to get notified, what happens is…you not only set characteristic notification…right here on line 344, but you have to go…on line 346 and seven and get…the specific descriptor for that characteristic…and then set its value to enable notification value…on line 348, and then 349, we have to write…that descriptor to the characteristic.…
So if you only did the code on line 344,…which is something similar to what you might…have to do on other operating systems,…you'll never get those notification callbacks.…So it's very important to understand that…every time you want to get a notification callback,…you've also got to go get that descriptor…and write that descriptor to the characteristic.…So finally, let's go back to the device control…activity and see how do we get that data…
- Exploring the Internet of Things
- Understanding sensors and effectors
- Connecting inputs and outputs
- Connecting to devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Creating Bluetooth apps using Android
- Creating your own things with programmable hardware
- Using IFTTT to program things
- Exploring the trends in things
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Note-Taking App for Android (2013)with David Gassner3h 7m Intermediate
Connecting Android Apps to RESTful Web Serviceswith David Gassner3h 24m Intermediate
Programming the Internet of Things with iOSwith Michael Lehman2h 49m Intermediate
1. The Internet of Things (IoT)
2. Composing a Thing
3. Connecting to Things
4. Creating Things
5. Managing Your Things
6. The Future of IoT
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.