Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a new note, part of Building a Note-Taking App for Android.
- View Offline
- Now that my navigation pattern is in place,…I'm ready to add code to create, update and delete notes.…I'll start with creating a note.…When the user touches the "+" button,…they're taken to the editor activity…and they're presented with a screen…where they type a note.…They can type any text they like…and it can go for multiple lines.…I'll type here some text but right now,…when they go back a step, nothing happens.…So, I need to add code to detect the state that happens…when the user touches that "+" button…and then add some more code to actually insert something…into the database and show it on the list…when we come back to the main activity.…
So, I'll go back to my code…and I'll start in my notes provider class.…I'm going to add a new constant here.…The constant will be called the content item type…and it'll be just a simple string.…Later on, I'll be using this string to indicate…that I'm updating an existing note…but I need to establish the constant now.…I'll place it right here after my existing constants.…
Building a Note-Taking App for iOS 8 and Building a Note-Taking App for Windows Phone 8 and Windows Store use the same assets to develop a similar app. Compare and contrast the steps and discover the similarities and differences between the three platforms.
- Understanding Android UI and data management patterns
- Creating an Android Studio project
- Customizing material design theme colors
- Defining an SQLite database structure
- Managing data with ContentProvider and Loader classes
- Retrieving and displaying data
- Customizing data display with a CursorAdapter
- Creating, updating, and deleting notes
- Preparing the app for deployment