Create your first Realm migration in this video. Annyce walks you through the steps necessary to add a new field to a Realm Object.
- [Instructor] Now that we understand…the use of migrations in Realm…let's add a new field to our recipe class.…First, we need to make some changes…to our Applications class,…so let's open up the TopsyTurveyApplication.…The first thing we need to do is provide a schema version.…We can do this with our RealmConfiguration object.…So right underneath line 17 we'll add a new call…to the schemaVersion method…and we'll supply this with a number of 1.…
Since this is a constant let's go ahead…and make the 1 a constant,…and we'll call it SCHEMA_VERSION.…The next thing we want to do is remove…our calls to deleting the Realm.…Remember, we were deleting the Realm,…so that we could start with a clean slate each time,…but now if we're going to use migrations…this is no longer needed.…So we're going to remove line 23 where we make the call…to the deleteRealmIfMigrationNeeded method…and then we're also going to remove line 25…where we delete the entire Realm file.…
And we'll leave the Application class…just like this for now.…Let's move over to the Recipe class,…
To begin, Annyce Davis reviews using the de facto data persistence solution available on Android: SQLite. She takes you through basic SQLite concepts—such as how to create a database wrapper and insert data into a table—as well as a few more advanced topics. Next, she covers working with Cupboard, an open-source project dedicated to simplifying your SQLite interactions. To wrap up, she dives into working with Realm, an object database solution designed with mobile devices in mind. Throughout the course, Annyce discusses establishing relationships between database tables, creating and running queries, as well as performing data migrations.
- Overview of SQLite
- Defining a database table's schema
- Exploring SQLite create table syntax
- Executing create table statements
- Inserting data with a foreign key relation
- Inspecting the database using a terminal
- Updating and deleting records
- Working with Cupboard
- Working with Realm
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/24/2018. What changed?
A: New videos were added that cover working with Room.
Learning Firebase Cloud Messaging for Androidwith Joe Marini52m 49s Intermediate
1. SQLite Basics
2. SQLite Beyond the Basics
3. Working with Room
4. Working with Cupboard
5. Realm Basics
6. Realm Beyond the Basics
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.