Your mobile app's category won't help you in search results, but it can help get more downloads. Follow these three guidelines when selecting your category.
- [Narrator] In addition to using App Store Search…to find apps, people also spend time browsing…within the categories in each App Store.…Think of when you go grocery shopping.…You go into the store because you need to get some milk.…But then the cookie section catches your eye,…and you start wandering down that aisle instead.…Similarly, when someone goes into the App Store…or the Google Play Store, invariably,…they will click on a category that interests them…just to see what's available.…They do this because category lists help users…find apps based on their needs.…
And because you want to make sure that…you are attracting users who have a strong intent…and desire to use your app,…it's important to make sure…that the category you select for your app…is both accurate and relevant.…Here are some basics to keep in mind about categories.…The iTunes App Store lets you pick a primary…and a secondary category.…Placing your app in two categories will increase its chance…for exposure, but you need to make sure…the secondary category is still relevant.…
- Comparing the App Store and Google Play store
- How Apple and Google rank your app
- Choosing an app name, keywords, and category
- Writing a description for your app
- App indexing
- Deep linking
- Creating icons, screenshots, and demo videos
- Monitoring ASO performance
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 07/14/2017. What changed?
A: We added one video, "How the iTunes App Store ranks your app," which helps you understand the determining factors, such as app name and length, that affect how your app ranks in App Store search results.