When looking to lock an Android device to a particular application you can go about it in two ways: app pinning and task mode. Jon-Luke talks about what these methods are, when they are typically used, and how to support them in an application.
- [Instructor] When looking to lock an Android device…into a particular application,…there are few options to choose from.…The two methods available for doing this…are known as App Pinning and Lock Task Mode.…You can kind of think of these as two different…flavors of the same feature.…App Pinning is a feature that allows a user…to put an application into a fullscreen mode…that they can only exit by holding the back…and overview buttons.…This mode can be used by any application…without any additional configuration.…
An enterprise might use this if they need to…lock a device into an application briefly,…or to demonstrate something.…This is more security through obscurity though,…and in a production managed environment,…should be avoided.…Lock Task Mode is unique from App Pinning…because there is no way for a user to exit.…This mode, however, must be controlled by…a DPC running as device owner.…Both of these methods are available to all…devices running Marshmallow or above.…
Let's continue by checking out App Pinning…
Instructor Jon-Luke West first reviews the key concepts of enterprise mobility management in Android: important APIs, the role of the device administrator, and the types of devices you should plan to target. He reviews the three primary use cases, including bring your own device (BYOD) and corporate-owned single-use (COSU) scenarios. Then he dives straight into the code, showing how to implement three enterprise integration features: managed application configurations, app pinning, and locked task mode. Finally, he shows how to test the features on a managed device.
- Enterprise mobility management (EMM) and mobile device management (MDM)
- Android EMM APIs
- Use cases: BYOD, work-manage devices, and COSU
- Checking restrictions and restriction changes for managed configurations
- App pinning and lock task mode
- Testing enterprise integration features using Test DPC