Encryption takes mobile device security to the next level. If a malacious party acquires your device, encryption can protect your data. Ryan Spence details the process to encrypt an Android device. Understand the basics of how encryption works to deter wouldbe hackers. Explore how to set up encryption to protect your device from malicious parties.
- On my Android device, I can encrypt accounts, settings,…applications and their data,…really any files stored on the device.…By using encryption, I'm making my password…the only way to get at my data.…If, for some reason, I lose my passcode,…I will not be able to recover the data.…This also guarantees that if my device is stolen,…the data is unreadable without decryption.…This protects my data at rest.…Encryption does not protect me if my phone is compromised.…
Once enabled, I will need to unlock the screen…to decrypt the device every time I turn it on.…The encryption process can take an hour or more.…I will need to plug my device in for the encryption process.…If my phone dies during the process,…I could lose all of my data.…To begin the encryption process, I'll go to Apps,…Settings, and select Security,…select Encrypt device, and read the warnings…regarding power and the length of time it can take.…
Select the Encrypt device option…at the bottom of the screen.…This process will chug along for a while,…but once complete, my data is secured…
- Understanding mobile security risks
- Buying and disposing of mobile devices
- Setting up mobile passwords
- Implementing lock screen security
- Adjusting Android admin settings and iOS privacy options
- Setting up options to find your phone
- Securing cameras, microphones, and other hardware on your mobile device
Skill Level Beginner
1. Considering the Need for Security
2. Securing an Android Device
3. Securing an iOS Device
4. Securing Device Hardware
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.