Join David Gassner for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding and deleting sample data, part of Building a Note-Taking App for Android.
- View Offline
- My final step in creating the data layer…to this application is to add some methods…that will add and delete sample data.…These methods might not be a part of a final production…application, but they'll be really useful…as we continue to build the user interface.…I'm working in the project SampleData now.…You can either import this project from the exercise files…or you can continue from the previous project.…I'll start in the main activities menu.…I'll go to my resources folder…to menu and open menu_main.xml.…
I'll reformat the code to make…it a little bit more readable.…I'm not going to use a settings menu choice in this app…so I'll first click into this string and then…control or command click to jump to the declaration…and I'll delete the string from strings.xml.…Then I'll come back to the menu…and I'll change the ID of this…menu item to action_create_sample.…Then, I'll set the title to Create sample data.…
Android Studio wants me to extract…this string as a string resource.…I'll use an intention action to do that…
Building a Note-Taking App for iOS 8 and Building a Note-Taking App for Windows Phone 8 and Windows Store use the same assets to develop a similar app. Compare and contrast the steps and discover the similarities and differences between the three platforms.
- Understanding Android UI and data management patterns
- Creating an Android Studio project
- Customizing material design theme colors
- Defining an SQLite database structure
- Managing data with ContentProvider and Loader classes
- Retrieving and displaying data
- Customizing data display with a CursorAdapter
- Creating, updating, and deleting notes
- Preparing the app for deployment