The LogCat window and Log class lets developers trace what's happening in an app at runtime. Learn how to add Log tracing to an app and see the output in Android Studio.
- [Narrator] Android's Logcat tool … allows you to trace events, … and see values of variables when the app is running. … Logcat messages are displayed in Android Studio … in the Logcat window. … You can get to the window by clicking on the tab, … which by default will be at the bottom of the screen, … or you can go through the menu … and choose View, Tool Windows, Logcat, … or press the associate keyboard shortcut. … To display something in the Logcat window, … add a call to the log class. … As I showed previously you can use a live template … to create one of these calls, … and by default these templates … put in a tag with a constant of TAG, uppercase. … That won't exist automatically in your code, … you have to create it yourself. … For this first demonstration … I just want to know when the onCreate function … is being called. … So I'll get rid of that colon and space … and then I'll run the application. … Now, the logcat tool receives … a constant stream of information … from the device, …
- Installing Android Studio on macOS and Windows
- Creating your first project
- Creating virtual devices for testing
- Version control with GitHub
- Customizing the Android Studio interface
- Managing dependencies
- Generating and editing Kotlin code
- Refactoring and inspecting code
- Using templates
- Analyzing and debugging code
- Managing bitmap and vector images
Skill Level Beginner
What you should know1m 47s
1. Getting Started
2. Get Ready to Develop Apps
3. Use Software Version Control
Clone a GitHub repository3m 35s
4. Explore the User Interface
5. Manage Project Builds and Dependencies
6. Create and Edit Code Files
7. Analyze and Debug Your Code
8. Manage Image Files
Create vector image assets3m 50s
Next steps1m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.