Android Studio enables the creation of new code files in Java or Kotlin with a few clicks. Learn how to create classes, interfaces, and other types in either programming language.
- [Instructor] Android Studio makes it easy … to add new Java and Kotlin code files to your project. … Assuming you've created a project … that already uses Kotlin, … you can create a new Kotlin file or class … by going to a package, right clicking, … choosing New, and then Kotlin File/Class. … You need to choose the kind of file … that you want to create. … If you use the default of file, … you'll be creating a top level file … where you can create functions … that are available to the entire app. … Or, you can create a class, … and then just like Java, … you're creating a class structure. … I'll create a class named StringUtility. … If your project is already integrated with Git, … you'll be prompted to add the file to Git. … And then you can start creating functions in the class. … So, for example, I might create a function named getAString. … And then I might set the return type as String. … And then I'll have a return statement … that says, "here's a string." … Now, I can go to the main activity …
- Installing Android Studio on macOS and Windows
- Creating your first project
- Creating virtual devices for testing
- Version control with GitHub
- Customizing the Android Studio interface
- Managing dependencies
- Generating and editing Kotlin code
- Refactoring and inspecting code
- Using templates
- Analyzing and debugging code
- Managing bitmap and vector images
Skill Level Beginner
What you should know1m 47s
1. Getting Started
2. Get Ready to Develop Apps
3. Use Software Version Control
Clone a GitHub repository3m 35s
4. Explore the User Interface
5. Manage Project Builds and Dependencies
6. Create and Edit Code Files
7. Analyze and Debug Your Code
8. Manage Image Files
Create vector image assets3m 50s
Next steps1m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.