The Apply Changes tool lets developers update an app running on a device without having to completely reinstall the entire app. See how to choose between Apply Changes and complete reinstallation.
- [Instructor] Android Studio has a feature … that allows you to update an app … that's already running on a device, … without restarting the app, in certain circumstances. … To demonstrate this, … I'll create a new Android Studio project, … and I'll base it on the Basic Activity template. … If you simply change a literal string, … or a little bit of code, … in many cases you can apply those changes. … I'm going to run this application, … and show that when I click on the floating action button … in the lower corner of the app, … I see a message displayed. … It's called a snackbar message. … And right now it's just the text, … Replace with your own action. … Now, in my code, … I'll change this literal text to The real message. … On the toolbar there are three buttons … for launching the new code. … Run app means restart the entire application. … Apply Changes and Restart Activity … does a little bit less work. … It doesn't restart the entire application process, … but it does restart the current activity. …
- Installing Android Studio on macOS and Windows
- Creating your first project
- Creating virtual devices for testing
- Version control with GitHub
- Customizing the Android Studio interface
- Managing dependencies
- Generating and editing Kotlin code
- Refactoring and inspecting code
- Using templates
- Analyzing and debugging code
- Managing bitmap and vector images
Skill Level Beginner
What you should know1m 47s
1. Getting Started
2. Get Ready to Develop Apps
3. Use Software Version Control
Clone a GitHub repository3m 35s
4. Explore the User Interface
5. Manage Project Builds and Dependencies
6. Create and Edit Code Files
7. Analyze and Debug Your Code
8. Manage Image Files
Create vector image assets3m 50s
Next steps1m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.