Dependencies are declarations placed in Gradle build scripts to include external libraries in a project. Learn how to add new dependencies and upgrade existing dependency versions.
- [Instructor] A dependency is a text-based instruction … to the Gradle build system, … to locate, download and integrate a library of some kind … into your project. … It could be a library that's specific to Android, … from Google or from some third party, … or it could be any sort of Java or Kotlin-based library. … They're all usable in Android and Android Studio. … Your dependencies should be declared … in your build.gradle file for the app module, … not in build.gradle for the project. … And you'll see examples of these in a new project … generated in Android Studio. … This first dependency is an instruction to include … any jar files that are in the libs directory. … This is for the standard Kotlin library, … this is for extension functions for Kotlin, … this is for the appcompat library, … one for constraint layout and so on. … Depending on what kind of project … you generated in Android Studio, … you might see more dependencies than these already here. … You can add your own dependencies manually …
- Installing Android Studio on macOS and Windows
- Creating your first project
- Creating virtual devices for testing
- Version control with GitHub
- Customizing the Android Studio interface
- Managing dependencies
- Generating and editing Kotlin code
- Refactoring and inspecting code
- Using templates
- Analyzing and debugging code
- Managing bitmap and vector images
Skill Level Beginner
What you should know1m 47s
1. Getting Started
2. Get Ready to Develop Apps
3. Use Software Version Control
Clone a GitHub repository3m 35s
4. Explore the User Interface
5. Manage Project Builds and Dependencies
6. Create and Edit Code Files
7. Analyze and Debug Your Code
8. Manage Image Files
Create vector image assets3m 50s
Next steps1m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.