Join David Booth for an in-depth discussion in this video Specifying language: Hreflang annotations/XML, part of International SEO.
- When you're creating content for multiple regions…or in multiple languages,…you'll want to let search engines know…about each of those versions.…One of the best ways to help search engines…understand the relationships…between your translated content…is to use the hreflang attribute.…These language annotations are the means for you…to provide a strong recommendation to search engines…about what language and region…the content is intended to serve.…Basically, these tags will tell a search engine…where each internationalized version of the page lives…by specifying each of the URLs…along with the language and country targets.…
While these make a lot of sense…and can be a fantastic indicator for search engines,…you should note that language annotations…are not currently supported by all search engines.…Google and Yandex are among those…that already support these.…But if you're optimizing for specific search engines,…you'll want to do some research into whether or not…they take the hreflang attribute into consideration.…
David reviews global and regional aspects of how to determine target markets and optimize your website for different countries and languages. He then explains the technical elements of international SEO, including how search engines handle multilingual and multiregional content, and which methods to use to let search engines know just whom you're targeting. Viewers then explore international content strategy and crucial on-page elements and optimization strategies.
Then learn how to perform keyword research—taking into account cultural considerations and local competition. The course moves on to explore such off-site factors as social sharing and link building, and shows how to measure results via a number of SEO-specific tools, as well as Google Analytics.
- Explain why backlinks are so important in both domestic and international SEO.
- Name three countries that have search engines that are more popular locally than Google.
- Determine the purpose of a content delivery network.
- Identify how UTF-8 encoding helps with searches in different languages.
- Recognize situations in which meta tags are useful.
- Apply helpful strategies to increase traffic to your websites.