Join David Booth for an in-depth discussion in this video Meta content-language country tag usage, part of International SEO Fundamentals.
- When we talk about international SEO…we can often be very focused on Google,…and methods as href lang tags that can help discover…alternative versions of translated content.…But we also have to recognize that…there are other search engines out there…that are going to be important to us,…and they vary from country to country.…And while not used by all…search engines for declaring a language,…there are some meta tags that can help some search engines…understand a page's target country and language.…First the content-language meta tag can be embedded…directly into the head section of your HTML pages.…
You can format these using the…ISO 639 abbreviated language code,…and the ISO's 3166 country code, separated by a hyphen.…For example, French, Canadian content would be fr-ca.…The English, Canadian would be en-ca.…And so on and so forth.…Another way that webmasters will declare…the language and country target of the content is by putting…it directly in the title or the html element like this.…While either method is acceptable,…
David reviews global and regional aspects of how to determine target markets and optimize your website for different countries and languages. He then explains the technical elements of international SEO, including how search engines handle multilingual and multiregional content, and which methods to use to let search engines know just whom you're targeting. Viewers then explore international content strategy and crucial on-page elements and optimization strategies.
Then learn how to perform keyword research—taking into account cultural considerations and local competition. The course moves on to explore such off-site factors as social sharing and link building, and shows how to measure results via a number of SEO-specific tools, as well as Google Analytics.
- Optimizing websites for different countries and languages
- Determining target global markets
- Handling the technical aspects of international SEO
- Localizing content
- Researching international keywords
- Building a global reputation and authority
- Measuring international SEO results