Join David Booth for an in-depth discussion in this video Best practices for translating content, part of International SEO.
- After working out the logistics and infrastructure…of your multilingual or multi-regional site,…you'll want to have your site's content translated…and regionalized to the appropriate language…and country combinations you're targeting.…This is going to take some time and resources, and it's not…a place where you're going to want to cut corners.…If you don't have the proper resources in-house,…there are some very good translation and interpretation…services out there that will ensure that the quality…of your page translations in other languages…is just as high as the content written…in your primary language.…
One thing you probably don't want to do…is use automated translation services.…If you've ever used tools like Google Translate or Babelfish…then you'll know that while they can be of tremendous help…in getting across a general idea, they're clearly not…providing professional or even sometimes coherent results.…For the user experience, this is one of those cases…where using this kind of translation tool, may actually…
David reviews global and regional aspects of how to determine target markets and optimize your website for different countries and languages. He then explains the technical elements of international SEO, including how search engines handle multilingual and multiregional content, and which methods to use to let search engines know just whom you're targeting. Viewers then explore international content strategy and crucial on-page elements and optimization strategies.
Then learn how to perform keyword research—taking into account cultural considerations and local competition. The course moves on to explore such off-site factors as social sharing and link building, and shows how to measure results via a number of SEO-specific tools, as well as Google Analytics.
- Explain why backlinks are so important in both domestic and international SEO.
- Name three countries that have search engines that are more popular locally than Google.
- Determine the purpose of a content delivery network.
- Identify how UTF-8 encoding helps with searches in different languages.
- Recognize situations in which meta tags are useful.
- Apply helpful strategies to increase traffic to your websites.