Learn how to identify cases in which network bandwidth constraints may make data transfer infeasible, and to articulate their options for transferring data via AWS's shipped hard drive service, Snowball.
- [Instructor] When it comes to transferring data…to the cloud, especially in very large quantities,…latency and bandwidth restrictions…are constant concerns.…There are many points at which our throughput…might be limited by the speed of our connection…or bottlenecked by low bandwidth network ops.…We can alleviate this somewhat by using a technology…like AWS direct connect, but at a certain size…of data load the bandwidth of the internet…just isn't going to cut it.…We'd almost be better off loading our data…into a truck and driving it to AWS.…In fact, this is true, given sufficient data quantity…and demanding enough time constraints,…physically moving hard drives of data…is more efficient than moving that same data…over the internet.…
Back in 1981 American Dutch computer scientist…Andrew Tanenbaum put it thusly;…never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon…full of tapes hurtling down the highway.…For an interesting dive into the implications…of this statement, take a look at XKCD author…Randall Munroe's what if article on FedEx bandwidth.…
Join AWS architect Brandon Rich and learn how to configure object storage solutions and lifecycle management in Simple Storage Service (S3), a web service offered by AWS, and migrate, back up, and replicate relational data in RDS. Find out how to leverage flexible network storage with Elastic File System (EFS), and use the new AWS Glue service to move and transform data. Plus, learn how Snowball can help you transfer truckloads of data in and out of the cloud.
- What is data management?
- AWS S3 basics
- S3 bucket creation
- S3 upload and logging
- S3 event notifications
- S3 data lifecycle configuration
- Working with Amazon Elastic Block Store volumes
- Creating and mounting an EFS
- Creating an AWS RDS instance
- RDS backup and recovery
- Moving data with AWS Database Migration Service
- Moving data with Data Pipeline and Glue
Skill Level Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: Monitoring and Metricswith Sharif Nijim2h 4m Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: Data Serviceswith Lynn Langit4h 30m Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: High Availabilitywith Sharif Nijim2h 17m Intermediate
Amazon Web Services for Data Sciencewith Lynn Langit3h 56m Intermediate
2. Object Storage
3. File Systems
4. Database Services
5. Getting Data to AWS
6. Moving Data in AWS
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.