In this video, see how to initially create the skill in the Amazon Developer Portal, and get an overview of the Alexa Developer Console.
- [Instructor] Now it's time for us to configure our skill in the Amazon Developer portal. So head over to developer.amazon.com in a browser and log in with the Amazon Developer account you had created earlier. Aspects of the Amazon Developer portal may look different than this video, but bear in mind that the concepts that we will describe should remain the same and you should be able to follow along and find the corresponding links. So click on Alexa.
And now at the Your Alexa Consoles link at the top, you can select Skills. This is the main screen which will display all the Alexa skills you have created. So we have not created any skills yet. And if this is the case with you, this screen should be blank or have no skills initially. So click on the Create Skill button. And we first have to provide the skill name. So we're going to enter My Calculator.
That will be the name of our skill. We can leave the default language as English. And ensure that Custom is selected since we will be building a custom skill. This should be selected by default. And go ahead and click on the Create skill button. Since we will be building our skill from scratch, ensure that the option Start from scratch is selected and then click on the Choose button. This is the Alexa Developer Console where we will work to configure our skill.
On the left, there are tabs for intents, slots, and this is where you perform the configuration of the skill. In the center of the screen, there are additional resources if you need help and documentation. And on the right, there is a Skill builder checklist which is a neat feature that allows you to check off the different aspects of your skill as you go through the configuration process. So that's just a quick overview of the UI for the Developer Console.
- Reviewing Alexa basics
- Setting up your accounts and environment
- Identifying Alexa skills
- Building a custom Alexa skill
- Configuring skill functionality
- Testing skills
- Expanding skills
- Submitting a custom Alexa skill for certification