In this video, learn about EC2 instance purchase methods, such as on-demand and reserved instance, and spot and their associated impact on service costs.
- [Instructor] An important additional aspect…of EC2 cost control is the purchase method.…There are three methods: On-Demand,…Reserved Instance, often called RI,…or Spot.…I wanted to get your attention right up front.…So, you notice here, I've listed that,…for Reserved, can be up to 75% less…and Spot can be up to 90% less.…This is why you care about these purchase methods,…'cause you want to spend your money efficiently.…Also, as I just mentioned in a previous movie,…we can now have billing increments in seconds…rather than hours,…and for some of these purchase methods,…particularly Spot,…this can result in substantial cost savings.…
It's important to understand…to which instance types the per second billing applies,…so I refer you to this blog post from Jeff Barr…where he details the information.…Probably one of the most important considerations,…as you see here,…is effective October 2nd,…usage of Linux instances…that are launched in On-Demand, Reserved,…and Spot will be billed in one-second increments.…What that means is,…
- Approaches to cloud service cost control
- Why control AWS service costs?
- Controlling costs by service
- Starting services with CloudFormation
- CloudWatch billing alarms
- AWS Trusted Advisor cost control
- Using third-party products
- Cost control scenarios
Skill Level Intermediate
Cloud Architecture: Design Decisionswith David Linthicum59m 48s Intermediate
Cloud Architecture: Advanced Conceptswith David Linthicum58m 44s Intermediate
1. Approaches to Cloud Service Cost Control
2. Control Costs by Service
3. Other Ways to Control Costs
4. Cost Control Scenarios
Next steps1m 22s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.