In this video, Jeff Winesett describes three categories of cloud services: IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS. Learn what each provides in terms of hardware and software support.
- [Instructor] The term, the cloud, generally refers - [Narrator] The term The Cloud generally refers to anything involving hosted services over the internet. to anything involving hosted services over the internet. These hosted services are often broken into These hosted services are often broken into three main categories, three main categories: infrastructure as a service, or IaaS, Platform as a Service, or PaaS, platform as a service, or PaaS, and Software as a Service, or SaaS. and software as a service, or SaaS. The differences between these lies in the level The differences between these lies in the level of abstraction or virtualization being provided. There are many components that go into getting There are many components that go into getting an application designed, built, and launched. an application designed, built, and launched. There are lower-level components, There are lower-level components, such as the networking, block, and file-based storage, such as the Networking, Block and File-based storage, Load balancers, and Servers.
load balancers and servers. Sitting on top of these lower-level components are the operating system that runs are the Operating System that runs on the servers on the servers and load balancers, and load balancers, and the Runtime environment and the runtime environment for the coding language for the coding language being used by the application. being used by the application. And on top of that still are things like the application database software Application database software and the application and the application code itself. code itself. Cloud providers are in the business Cloud providers are in the business of offering of offering one or more of these levels one or more of these levels of components of components as a set of services. as a set of services. Rather than having to manage every single component layer, Rather than having to manage every single component layer, application developers can application developers can utilize cloud services utilize Cloud services to extract out one or more to abstract out one or more of these levels. of these levels.
This can ease the burden of administration and often helps speed up development. help speed up development. IaaS Cloud Services are those providing the lowest IaaS cloud services are those providing the lowest-level components. level components. Platform as a Service offerings are hosted services Platform as a service offerings are hosted services that move up this component stack the management of additional components, and provide the management of additional components such as the underlying operating system such as the underlying operating system and language runtime. and language runtime. And SaaS Cloud providers are providing everything, And SaaS cloud providers are providing everything including the application itself. including the application itself. Often, when people think of Amazon Web Services, Often, when people think of Amazon Web Services, or AWS for short, they consider it an example of or AWS for short, they consider it an example Infrastructure as a Service.
of infrastructure as a service. However, AWS provides a wide range of Cloud-based However, AWS provides a wide range of cloud-based services services that span all of these categories. that span all of these categories.
- Benefits of cloud services
- Making architectures scalable
- Examining cloud constraints
- Virtual servers, EC2, and Elastic IP
- Using the Amazon machine image
- Elastic load balancing
- Using CloudWatch for monitoring
- Security Models
- Elastic block storage
- S3, CloudFront, and Elastic Beanstalk
- Handling queues, workflows, and notifications
- Caching options and services
- Identity and access management
- Creating a custom server image
- Application deployment strategies
- Serverless architectures