Join Brian Eiler for an in-depth discussion in this video AMI security and updates, part of Amazon Web Services: Implementing and Troubleshooting IaaS Products.
- [Instructor] An important note about AMIs…is how we go about updating them…and really from a security standpoint,…what's going to happen as soon as you deploy them.…AWS takes charge of making sure…that any of the Windows AMIs are fully updated and patched…within five days of the Patch Tuesday events.…Now that means that they're powering up the AMIs.…They're going through the whole patching process…and then they stop it.…They re-bundle the AMIs and it's available for us to use.…
The challenge here is that…once you launch an instance from that AMI,…it's up to you to keep it up to date…and that's because think again,…it's kind of like a template…or think about it as a piece of paper.…If I routinely keep a particular piece of paper updated…and then I hand it to you as a copy,…well I can't update the paper…that's in your hands any longer.…The same thing applies here.…Once you deploy an instance from an AMI,…you'll have to go through the process of setting up…the particular patching process.…
Now it's recommended the first thing you do…
- AWS global infrastructure
- VPC use cases
- EC2 instance types
- EC2 purchasing and troubleshooting
- Creating AMIs
- Using AWS storage solutions such as EBS, EFS, S3, and Glacier
- Versioning and cross-region replication on S3
Skill Level Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: Design and Implement Systemswith Lynn Langit2h 51m Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: High Availabilitywith Sharif Nijim2h 17m Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: Monitoring and Metricswith Sharif Nijim2h 4m Intermediate
Amazon Web Services: Storage and Data Managementwith Brandon Rich3h 50m Intermediate
1. Global Infrastructure
5. AWS Storage
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.