Join Veejay Gahir for an in-depth discussion in this video Basic dial - Indent, part of Surfacing an F1 Wheel In Alias.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Okay, so we're at the stage now…where we're going to create the indent…for this rotary dial.…So, this is the stage here, and the first thing I want…to point out is if I grab the original indent data,…which is this one, let's just move this over,…(mouse clicking)…you'll notice that the mesh that I've got,…let's pull the transparency a little bit better…so we can see it,…you can see that the end result…of my mesh is actually longer,…so the industrial design has come back and said to us…that the indent is too small, there's not enough…real estate between gauge on with the fingers,…we need to make it slightly bigger and a little bit clearer.…
So, in this case, I just grab that piece of data,…and we can go to Transform, Local, Center Pivot,…and then we can just use a scale function, like this.…So the design is sitting on your shoulder,…and you can ask him what sort of shape he's looking for,…maybe he wants it a little bit wider or longer,…for example like this, and he'll say,…yep, that's what I want, and then we can go from there.…
- Understanding the manufacturing strategy
- Direct modeling techniques
- Understanding project deliverables
- Creating the main body
- Creating a digital display
- Checking feasibility
- Creating handles with fillets
- Exporting for rapid prototyping
- Rendering the final model
Skill Level Intermediate
Sketching an F1 Wheel with SketchBook Prowith Veejay Gahir27m 1s Appropriate for all
Insights on Automotive Design with Veejay Gahirwith Veejay Gahir23m 38s Appropriate for all
1. Overview of Alias Portfolio
Manufacturing strategy2m 36s
2. Starting a Project
3. Creating Main Body
4. Creating the Digital Display Aperture
5. Creating the Buttons and Dials
6. Creating the Handles
7. Export for Rapid Prototype
8. Alternative Workflow
Final model check2m 54s
9. Rendering the Final Model
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.