Join Joe Marini for an in-depth discussion in this video Introducing the extensions, part of Prototype and script.aculo.us Essential Training.
Prototype just extends the classes you're already using. Let's take a look at some of the classes that Prototype extends and introduces. So the extended classes you can see here that I have listed here in purple. The Number, String, Array, Element, Date, Function, Regular Expression and Object classes are all extended by Prototype. Prototype adds a whole bunch of new methods to each one of these and we'll go through some of the more prominent ones.
- Retrieving and manipulating web page elements
- Handling web page events and creating custom events
- Traversing the DOM
- Creating and handling AJAX requests
- Using script.aculo.us controls such as Autocompleters, Sliders, and Visual Effects
- Building complex page features like data filtering and image rotators