A popular use of Ajax is to provide automatic suggests below a text input for searching. Create a small-scale website with global search box in the header of every page. Learn useful code structuring techniques to allow the Ajax-enabled text input to appear on all pages.
- [Instructor] In this chapter,…we will implement a search autosuggest feature using Ajax.…I'm sure you've seen autosuggest in action before.…It's very popular.…The idea is that as a user is typing…into a text input field, the webpage then displays…suggestions below the text input.…In other words, it takes the data the user's typing,…and uses that to make suggestions,…in order to save them typing.…Those suggestions could be used to populate…the text input field simply as text,…or they could be links that take you…to either search results or to a specific content page.…
The idea is to try to speed up the user experience…and help the user have to type less…to get to where they want to go.…It's very useful.…One of the best examples of autosuggest…is still one of the first places that it was ever used.…And that's the main Google page.…If you go to google.com, and in the text box,…you start typing, L-Y-N-D-A,…you see that I get suggestions below…suggesting what I might want to go to.…Right, so these are just links, then,…
- What is Ajax?
- Creating Ajax requests and responses
- Monitoring Ajax request state and events
- Responding to Ajax requests with HTML and JSON
- Building Ajax buttons
- Submitting forms with Ajax
- Implementing infinite scrolling
- Adding autosuggestions to text fields
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Ajax Defined
What is Ajax?5m 34s
2. Ajax Client
3. PHP Server
4. Ajax Button
5. Ajax Form Submission
6. Infinite Scrolling
7. Search Autosuggest
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.