Learn to use PHP to determine which search results to return to the search autosuggest. Autosuggest works best with large data sets. For the demonstration project, we use a list of United States passenger train names.
- [Instructor] In this movie,…we will write the code to determine which suggestions…to return and send them back as json.…We should talk a bit about the kind of data…that we want to use for our autosuggest.…Autosuggest works best when we have large data sets,…certainly, over 100 records.…It works even better if there's 500 or 1,000, or even more.…And that makes sense.…There's no reason to make suggestions…if we only have a handful of records…to pull suggestions from.…In our case, we know that we're going to need data…that contains more than one suggestion…when we provide it the first three characters.…
It's not very useful to have autosuggest…if when we provide the first three characters,…it either returns no results or only one result.…It's going to be better if it can return multiple suggestions…when we give it three characters.…In the real world,…the kind of data that you could use might be product names,…maybe it's a database of your customers,…or it's article titles.…You could really use anything, it's up to you.…
- What is Ajax?
- Creating Ajax requests and responses
- Monitoring Ajax request state and events
- Responding to Ajax requests with HTML and JSON
- Building Ajax buttons
- Submitting forms with Ajax
- Implementing infinite scrolling
- Adding autosuggestions to text fields
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Ajax Defined
What is Ajax?5m 34s
2. Ajax Client
3. PHP Server
4. Ajax Button
5. Ajax Form Submission
6. Infinite Scrolling
7. Search Autosuggest
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.