There are occasions where you will want to attach a 2D object to a 3D layer. How can you attach a 2D object to a 3D layer by using expressions? The toComp expression can help you attach these two different types of layers. Author Luisa Winters walks you through how to add a 2D object to a 3D layer with the toComp expression in Adobe After Effects.
- [Instructor] There are occasions in which…we will want to attach a 2D object to a 3D layer.…The toComp expression can help us attach…these two different types of layers.…Let's see how it works.…Go ahead and open composition 5.5 "toComp" Expression.…You're gonna have in here a lens flare layer.…Go ahead and add an expression…to the position of that layer.…Now we're going to connect the position of this layer…to the Yellow Stick layer.…
You could type "thisComp.layer" et cetera, etc.…But instead, let's just pick whip the name of the layer.…So just the name of the layer,…rather than any other property of that layer.…And it writes it for you.…So, thisComp.layer, and then the name of the layer.…And now after that, type a dot, and then "toComp",…open and closed parentheses, semicolon.…Now, where on the Yellow Stick…do you want to attach the lens flare?…And right now, we're just gonna choose…coordinates zero, zero, zero.…
So, it's zero for X, zero for Y, zero for Z.…And here we go.…So that's an array, and arrays go inside of square brackets.…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice: 09 Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.