Join Todd Kopriva for an in-depth discussion in this video Why can't I see my changes until I let go of the mouse button?, part of Adobe After Effects CS5: Frequently Asked Questions.
- View Offline
Frequently asked question about After Effect CS5, why can't I see my changes until I let go of the mouse button? Let's look at an example. We have the black solid, here. And I would expect, as I drag, the x position property, I would see the layer moving back and forth in the Composition panel. But I don't, until I let go. Similarly, when I directly drag the layer in a Composition panel, the black layer stays still, and I get a wire-frame representation of the layer until I let go. What's going on? Simply, Live Update has been turned off.
Click the Live Update switch. And now, my drag of property in the Timeline panel. I see the changes in the Composition panel, and when I drag a layer, in the Composition panel, it moves around. Live Update is on by default. When you turn Live Update off, it gives an alert message. But some people don't notice it. Next time you notice that your layers aren't changing in the Composition panel, as you drag the properties in the Timeline panel, check to see that you have Live Update on.
- What are the optimum memory settings for performance in After Effects?
- Why are my vector graphics from Illustrator pixelated?
- Why can't I see my changes until I let go of the mouse button?
- Why can't I see all of my motion path in the Composition panel?
- Why is there no sound in my output file?
- What's the best format for exporting from After Effects?
- Why is my output file huge, and why does it not play smoothly?
- How do I find tutorials and information about After Effects?