Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video When are vectors converted to rasters?, part of Motion Graphics for Video Editors: Terms and Technology.
- Let's bring a vector element into a few different programs…to see how it behaves.…I'm going to reopen up this Raster Vector logo,…press control zero to zero my view,…and select this key element here.…Let's copy that and place it into a new document.…We'll explore the sizing process a bit later.…For now, I'm just going to keep this in here as is…and place it near the middle of the page.…I'll save this as an Illustrator file.…
Let's just put this out to my desktop…and I'll call it logo.ai for Adobe Illustrator.…I'll save that.…Now, we'll bring in some other programs.…In Photoshop, I could choose to open that image.…When I do, it will present me…with a dialog offering to rasterize it.…You'll notice in this case that it's set a resolution…of inches, but if I change this to pixels,…I could choose to set the width on import.…
For example, making that a full HD width.…Clicking okay, it brings the file in…and its dimensions are more than adequate for video.…On the other hand, let's try Premiere Pro and After Effects.…
- When to use vector vs. raster graphics
- Working with high-dynamic-range images
- Choosing the right color space
- Understanding file extensions and file formats
- Maintaining broadcast-safe color and luminance levels
- Configuring Photoshop and Illustrator workspaces and preferences
- Using templates
- Building titles
- Sizing photos or logos
- Saving Photoshop and Illustrator files for video graphics
Skill Level Beginner
Mograph Techniques: Creating a Product Endpagewith Ian Robinson1h 50m Intermediate
After Effects CC 2013 Essential Trainingwith Ian Robinson14h 52m Appropriate for all
Mograph Techniques: Animating to Musicwith Ian Robinson1h 5m Intermediate
Premiere Pro CC Essential Training (2014)with Ashley Kennedy8h Appropriate for all
1. Core Technology for Video Graphics
2. Broadcast-Safe Issues
3. Setting Up Photoshop for a Video Workflow
4. Setting Up Illustrator for a Video Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.