Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video What is transparency?, part of After Effects CC 2018: VFX Essential Training.
- [Instructor] What is transparency?…Transparency is, essentially, what enables us…to create visual effects by taking one portion…of an image and combining it with another.…By cutting out what we want or don't want,…we create an isolated feature that we can then…manipulate further in the context of our shot.…You might have heard the terms opacity and transparency…used together or interchangeably.…They're basically opposites.…In After Effects, if a layer has a 0% opacity,…it's 100% transparent, meaning that you can see…right through the layer, in effect,…making it invisible.…
Likewise, if you have a layer that's at 25% opacity,…you have 75% transparency, and so forth.…The trick here in visual effects…is creatively deciding where to apply this transparency.…We can create transparency through a number of means,…including cutting out areas by masking…or using the image's color or brightness information.…In visual effects, every shot is different…and will have its own set of unique challenges.…In turn, each artist will problem-solve differently…
- Creating transparency
- Tracking masks in Motion
- Utilizing the Roto Brush tool
- Camera and motion tracking
- Working with 3D layers
- Using effects
- Creating destruction with Shatter
- Creating fire with particles
- Distorting layers with the Puppet tool
- Compositing 3D renders
- Creating virtual reality experiences
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects CC 2018 New Featureswith Mark Christiansen1h 52m Intermediate
1. Create Transparency
3. Work with Trackers
4. Work with Effects
5. Composite 3D Renders
6. Work with Rendering
Using Media Encoder3m 53s
7. Work with Immersive 360 VR
8. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.