Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video What is a chroma key?, part of After Effects CC 2018: VFX Essential Training.
- [Instructor] What is chroma keying? Chroma keying is the process by which we can separate a foreground subject from a background by filtering out a range of certain colors to create transparency. You'll most often see this with a subject shot on a green or a blue screen, since those colors are considered to be the most opposite of what is present in skin tones, although it should be said that any color range can certainly be keyed out. For Visual effects, green or blue screen shots are filmed specifically with a background or a context in mind and presents its own set of challenges when filming.
The screen itself must be evenly lit and captured at a proper exposure, while the subject must be lit separately and dressed with none of the colors of the background. Once the footage is in After Effects, a visual effects artist looks to seamlessly blend the foreground subject to the background plate in a believable way, drawing attention to the minute details of things like edges of the foreground subject. This chapter is focused on keying basics. And while the subject can go quite deep, grasping these foundation techniques will help your core set of compositing skills.
- Creating transparency
- Tracking masks in Motion
- Utilizing the Roto Brush tool
- Camera and motion tracking
- Working with 3D layers
- Using effects
- Creating destruction with Shatter
- Creating fire with particles
- Distorting layers with the Puppet tool
- Compositing 3D renders
- Creating virtual reality experiences
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects CC 2018 New Featureswith Mark Christiansen1h 13m Intermediate
1. Create Transparency
3. Work with Trackers
4. Work with Effects
5. Composite 3D Renders
6. Work with Rendering
Using Media Encoder3m 53s
7. Work with Immersive 360 VR
8. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.