Walks you through the Element 3D third-party compositing plugin for After Effects.
- [Voiceover] Hey folks, my name is Chad Perkins, and on behalf on lynda.com, welcome to this training series. We're gonna take an in depth look at Element 3D from the ground up. First of all, what is Element 3D? Element 3D is a plug in for Adobe After Effects, created by the hero of the After Effects community, Andrew Kramer from videocopilot.net. After a simple starter project and some explanation of basic features, we'll look at how Element allows you to create simple 3D objects from scratch, such as text and extruded masks.
We'll even look at how you can use shapes from Photoshop and Illustrator to create 3D objects in Element. But you can also import 3D objects. Yes, you heard that correctly. You can now, with Element, import 3D objects into After Effects and we'll look at how to do that. Element also allows you to create and apply materials to 3D objects. We'll look at how to do that from scratch to really improve the quality of our renders in After Effects. We'll also look at some tricks to fake more complex materials.
But element is even more than this. Element is also a 3D particle generator, allowing to quickly create an array of 3D objects. We'll see tons of examples of this in action and really get a firm hold on how to use this replication system in practical ways. We'll also look at evil stampeding tiny cows. We'll also be learning a bit about cinematography so that you can use After Effects light and cameras to get the best possible renders out of Element, including to get the ever popular shallow depth of field look.
On top of all of this, Element also has a powerful animation engine which allows you to animate between 3D objects. This can create some amazing results that we'll look at. Like this: Also really cool text animations. Like this: Throughout this training series, we'll also be looking at how easy it is to integrate 3D footage into life action shots using Element. Finally, we'll wrap everything up by looking at a little project I made entirely in After Effects using Element 3D.
(intense music) We're gonna start from scratch and learn a ton in this training. So let's get to it.
- Assigning objects to groups
- Adjusting basic object transform properties
- Creating 3D objects from text and masks
- Working with bevel presets
- Creating custom materials
- Adding illumination
- Creating bumps with normal maps
- Using replicator shapes
- Animating with the animation engine
- Creating a shallow depth of field
Skill Level Intermediate
2. Creating Your First Project
3. Overview of Element 3D
4. Working with 3D Objects
5. Creating 3D Objects
6. Working with Materials
7. Particle Replicators
8. Integrating with After Effects
9. Using the Animation Engine
10. Adding Polish
11. Final Project: Building a Space Scene
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.