A review of the WebM format which, in many respects, has become a fallback file format for browsers that can't play an MP4 video. This fact has its roots in the disagreements between the browser vendors which still resonate to this day.
- [Instructor] In the previous video…I talked about the MP4 format,…but there's another one you need to know about,…the WebM format.…WebM is one of those formats you need to know about…but may never have come across until now.…It arrived in 2010 at the height of the standard wars…around HTML5 video.…The company that introduced it, unsurprisingly, was Google.…Thanks to the sponsorship of the Web Media Project.…The intent behind WebM was to offer a high quality,…royalty-free, alternative video format…for use in HTML5 video.…
This was the royalty-free version of MP4.…Like the MP4 format, WebM is also a container format.…Unlike MP4, it initially used…the VP8 codec for video compressions…and the Vorbis codec for the audio compression.…In 2013, the codecs changed to VP9,…a competitor to the emerging H.265 codec…and an upgraded version of Vorbis named Opus.…
The VP8 and VP9 Codex are direct descendants…of the VP6 codec developed by On2 Technologies,…which Google purchased in 2009.…For the longest time VP6 reign supreme on the web.…
- Key video formats used to publish on the web
- Encoding video that's optimized for online delivery
- HTML5 native video embedding and interaction
- Styling video components with CSS
- Captioning video
- Preparing video for social media
- Using Dynamic Link
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: HTML Background Videowith Chris Converse28m 35s Beginner
Web Video: Develop Your Video Presencewith Rick Allen Lippert41m 54s Appropriate for all
Web Video: Makeup Techniqueswith Rick Allen Lippert25m 47s Appropriate for all
Exercise files1m 11s
1. Web Video Formats
2. Encoding Video
3. HTML5 and Video
4. Video and CSS
5. Playing with Video
Next steps1m 23s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.