What if you wanted an expression to affect one aspect of an object like the height and not the width or vice versa? Simple variables can help you achieve just that. In this movie, author Luisa Winters guides you through how to use a simple variable to adjust one aspect of an object in Adobe After Effects.
- Maybe we just want to wiggle the height…of an object and not the width.…Maybe we want for the expression to affect…only the X-value for position and not the Y.…We have already seen a little bit of how to accomplish that.…Let's go through it a little bit more in depth.…Go ahead and open Composition 3.3, Using simple variables.…Let's again make only the Y position…of the orange square wiggle and not the X.…
So add an expression, and now type a, space equals space,…b, space equals space,…c, space equals space.…And of course, when I commit to it,…the expression returns an error.…So, here we go.…Two, and don't forget to put them together.…a, b…And that's the basic expression right there.…After you do this a couple of times,…it'll be second nature to you…and it will not be even confusing anymore.…
If I commit to this, there you go.…The error is gone and we're good.…I can now wiggle this however I want.…Let's go ahead and change the b variable to a wiggle.…So, two, and I'm gonna wiggle this maybe 300 pixels.…And I do have to leave the one in the brackets in there.…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice 09: Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Mastering the Timelinewith Richard Harrington1h 8m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.