There are a multitude of expressions available for you to use and they control a variety of different properties. Depending on where your playhead is, it can control what the value of the expression is for a specific property. In this movie, author Lusia Winters demonstrates how to use the playhead to control an expression in Adobe After Effects.
- So far, we have seen many expressions…that control different properties.…Now, let's get to where the time position…of the playhead can determine the value…that the property will have throughout the expression.…But not just the timing of the playhead…can determine values.…Any other property can.…Let's go ahead and open composition 4.1,…use the playhead for control.…In here, you're going to see a single sprocket.…If you play it, there's nothing really changing in here.…
Let's go ahead and add an expression…to the opacity of this sprocket.…So select it, press the letter T, and add the expression.…Now, what we're going to do is we're going to make use…of the expression language menu.…Go ahead and click on this little play button here,…and go under interpolation,…and choose Linear, T minimum, maximum,…value1, value2,…and it writes the expression for you.…
Well, it's actually writing…what the expression is referring to.…If we were to commit to this we would get an error,…because we actually have to replace these by real values.…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice: 09 Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.