Join Richard Harrington for an in-depth discussion in this video Understanding file extensions and file formats for video workflows, part of Motion Graphics for Video Editors: Terms and Technology.
- I mentioned file extensions.…Without the file extension,…the computer often becomes confused.…Sometimes if you stay on the same platform,…things can be properly handled.…This is because there might be some extra information…in the header of the file.…As you move cross platform or between manufacturers,…it's really easy to confuse things.…For example, let's modify this PSD file…and rename the extension to .jpeg.…
I'm going to click okay and tell this…to open with Photoshop.…You'll see that it was unable to open the file…because it wasn't actually a jpeg file.…Photoshop expected it to be a jpeg file,…but it didn't contain the information needed…to open that file.…Let's go back and remove the extension all together.…I'll now try to open it without an extension.…
You'll notice that the computer doesn't know…what program to open it with, so it's asking for some help.…I could tell it to try Photoshop,…but it wasn't able to properly open the file…because it didn't know what file type it was.…Let's return that file to its original state…
- When to use vector vs. raster graphics
- Working with high-dynamic-range images
- Choosing the right color space
- Understanding file extensions and file formats
- Maintaining broadcast-safe color and luminance levels
- Configuring Photoshop and Illustrator workspaces and preferences
- Using templates
- Building titles
- Sizing photos or logos
- Saving Photoshop and Illustrator files for video graphics
Skill Level Beginner
Mograph Techniques: Creating a Product Endpagewith Ian Robinson1h 50m Intermediate
After Effects CC 2013 Essential Trainingwith Ian Robinson14h 52m Appropriate for all
Mograph Techniques: Animating to Musicwith Ian Robinson1h 5m Intermediate
Premiere Pro CC Essential Training (2014)with Ashley Kennedy8h Appropriate for all
1. Core Technology for Video Graphics
2. Broadcast-Safe Issues
3. Setting Up Photoshop for a Video Workflow
4. Setting Up Illustrator for a Video Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.