Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Track mattes, part of After Effects CC 2018: Editors and Post Essential Training.
- [Instructor] While a mask allows you to control what's…shown or hidden on a particular layer, After Effects also…allows you to reference another layer's transparency…or pixel brightness to control what is visible.…A layer that controls another layer's visibility in this way…is called a track matte, and here in this movie,…we'll explore how they work.…So in this first example I have some numbers that…I have going up in space in Y, and basically…I want to create a counter of sorts.…Now, you'd think that maybe with our masking tools…I might be able to cut out a certain portion…and have the rest of it kind of revealed.…
So let's go ahead and select our layer one and come over…here to our rectangle tool and just draw a little mask…around that layer, and when we preview it,…you'll notice that the mask is moving along with the layer,…not what I intended, I actually wanted…to keep my mask in place and just move the layers.…So, that's kind of an important concept is that these masks…are moving along with whatever the layer is doing.…
- Linking Premiere Pro and After Effects dynamically
- Navigating timeline layers
- Working with keyframes
- Precomping elements
- Animating mask reveals and tracking masks
- Creating elements with shape layers
- Animating shapes and text
- Working with Illustrator files
- Animating a logo
- Creating 3D type extrusions
- Creating a simple camera in Z-space montage
- Keying video with Keylight
- Batch rendering and Dynamic Link rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Creating Presets and Controllerswith Nick Harauz1h 29m Intermediate
1. How After Effects Is Different from Premiere
2. Working with Masks and Shapes
3. Working with Type and Logos
4. Working with Stills and Video
5. Outputting Media
6. Example Techniques
7. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.