Join Chris Meyer for an in-depth discussion in this video Shape tool overview, part of After Effects Apprentice 14: Shape Layers.
- [Instructor] If you have access to the exercise files…that came with this lesson,…open up the project AEA_Shape Layers.aep.…If instead, you're working with project files…that came from our book After Effects Apprentice…second edition, open up the project file, Lesson 11.…In this movie, we're going to discuss the tools…and options involved in making shape layers.…I'm going to open up a blank composition to begin with,…if you have the exercise files 01-Shape Play*starter…is a good starting point.…The same tools you've previously used to create…mass shapes, can also be used to create shape layers,…which they do, depends on what you have selected.…
For example, let's create a layer.…I'll do Layer, New, Solid.…I'll make it the comp size and I'll give it a color…so we can see it.…Okay.…If you have a layer selected, these tools…will mask that layer.…For example, I'll select the Rounded Rectangle Tool.…With this layer selected, clicking and dragging,…masks out that solid layer.…I'll turn it off for now.…However, if there's no layer selected,…
The After Effects Apprentice series was created by Trish and Chris Meyer. These tutorials are designed for After Effects CS4 through CC, and can be used on their own or as a companion to the Meyer's book, After Effects Apprentice.
- Drawing parametric shapes and pen paths
- Creating multiple shape groups
- Exploring Wiggle Paths and the Wiggle Transform effect
- Defining gradient fills
- Creating a swarm
- Blending multiple shapes into a texture
- Crafting and animating dotted and dashed lines
- Combining effects, layer styles, expressions, and the Brainstorm tool with shape layers
- Showing tips for stylizing sidebars
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Drawing Shapes
2. Multiple Shape Paths
Creating compound paths8m 14s
3. Shape Effects
4. Crosshair Exercise
5. Abstract Texture Exercise
6. Map Path Exercise
7. Animated Logo Exercise
8. Ray-Traced 3D and Shapes (CS6 only)
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.