Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Shape layer overview, part of After Effects CC 2018 Essential Training: Motion Graphics.
- [Instructor] Shape layers are a crucial component…of a motion graphics artist's tool set.…Their procedural and non-destructive nature…let's us experiment and animate…the various properties that create them.…In many ways, it's a lot like a small version of Illustrator…directly inside of After Effects.…By grouping these visual blocks, we can create…complex pieces to use in our motion graphics projects.…Here in this movie, we'll take a broad look…at some of the important characteristics…that make shape layers unique.…So one of the first important concepts about shape layers…is to know that they are vector-based images,…as opposed to rasterized images.…
Now you might be asking yourself,…what is a raster and what's a vector image?…Well, roughly speaking, vector images are…mathematical representations of an image…verus raster, which is pixel-based.…So to help illustrate that, I've got a yellow solid here,…which is a rasterized image created inside After Effects.…And on the outside it looks pretty normal,…nothing standing out as abnormal,…
- Working with shape layers and paths
- Animating compositions
- Animating type
- Animating 3D layers
- Creating 3D text and geometry
- Rendering your motion graphics
- Following an effective motion graphic workflow
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 05/07/2018. What changed?
A: We added videos on two new features in Adobe CC 2018: the Essential Graphics panel and master properties.
After Effects Guru: Keying with Keylightwith Luisa Winters1h 3m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Plugins You Should Knowwith Nick Harauz4h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Expressionswith Luisa Winters2h 28m Intermediate
1. Working with Shape Layers
2. Working with Animation
3. Working with Compositing
4. Working with Type
5. Basic After Effects 3D
6. 3D Geometry
7. Rendering for Motion Graphics
8. Motion Graphic Workflow Tips
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.