Join Owen Lowery for an in-depth discussion in this video Roughen edges and other effects on lines, part of Creating a Handmade Look in After Effects: 2 Design and Animation.
- So my sketchy robot lines aren't quite sketchy enough.…It's time to roughen their straight edges up…with an effect or two to make them…look a little less perfect.…I'll start by adding one of my favorite effects.…The Roughen Edges effect.…I'm going to go into my Effects and Preset search window…and start typing in "roughen".…Here's the Roughen Edges effect.…I will grab and drop it on my robot outlines layer,…and immediately, it's pretty rough.…I like it, but I'm going to make it a bit more subtle.…
I'm going to bring the border down to 6.…I'll change the sharpness to about 0.65, looks pretty good.…I'll keep my fractal influence at 1 and the…complexity of 2 looks pretty good, for now.…This is ink and paint we're going for.…I can play with the evolution, just to see what…it would look like with a little bit of a different…phasing to it. But the original seemed okay.…So I'm going to hit Command Z and leave it as is.…Some of the effects we use might affect how our…stroke width looks. We might need to increase or…
Want to create another lo-fi mograph effect? Check out Creating a Handmade Look in After Effects 01: Paper Cutout and Stop Motion Styles.
- Using the Pen tool to create hand-drawn shapes
- Animating shape layers to look drawn on
- Giving a wiggle to drawn elements
- Customizing and animating handwritten fonts
- Looping animation with expressions
- Using the Paintbrush tool to create animated painted lines
- Adding texture to lines
- Creating write-on type