As with the wiggle expression, using the random values in Adobe After Effects is effective and a great time saver. There are many already-built methods that will provide us with random values. What are they and how do they work? In this movie, author Luisa Winters demonstrates how to use the random values expression in After Effects
- As we have seen with Wiggle, using random values…in After Effects is effective and a great time saver.…There are already built-in methods…that will provide us with random values.…Let's see some of them.…Let's go ahead and open composition 5.1 Random Values.…Let's go ahead and add an expression…to the source of the text.…In here, simply type the word Random.…
Open and close parentheses.…In here you're going to give it a value for random,…in other words, random is going to give you…any kind of random values between zero…and whatever value you type in here.…Some I'm just gonna type the number one.…And here we go.…Now I'm going to make the heart invisible…so that we can see the text a little bit better…and there you go.…It's gonna give us random numbers…between zero and one.…
Let's go ahead and make the text invisible…and let's make the heart visible.…Let's go ahead and give an expression…to the opacity of the heart.…Select the heart layer, press the letter T,…and add an expression to opacity.…Let me collapse this one.…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice 09: Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Mastering the Timelinewith Richard Harrington1h 8m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.