There will be times when the expression that you want to add needs to connect two separate properties sometimes in one layer or two different layers. How can you connect properties that seem like you cannot connect them? In this movie, author Luisa Winters demonstrates how you can use a pick whip to connect different expressions.
- Sometimes the expression that you want to add…needs to connect two separate properties,…sometimes in one layer,…sometimes in two different layers.…Maybe you want to connect the movement of a sprocket…to the movement of an object on the screen.…Or maybe it's something else.…Whatever it is, you want to use an expression…to connect two properties that are otherwise unconnectable.…Let's see how we can accomplish that.…Let's go ahead and open Composition number 1.5,…Pick-whipping Expressions.…
You're gonna see that there are several layers in here.…Most of them are invisible right now.…Let me go ahead and make this a little bit taller.…So I have a red sprocket,…and I have a green sprocket.…If I play the timeline, you will see…that the red sprocket is rotating.…And that is because there are keyframes…that have been assigned to that layer.…Now, notice that the green sprocket is not rotating.…Let's go ahead and add an expression…to the rotation of the green sprocket.…
Press and hold Alt or Option, click on the stopwatch.…
- Adding expressions
- Editing expressions manually
- Changing expression dimensions: rate, value, music amplitude, etc.
- Working with expression variables
- Using the Expression Language menu
- Using random values
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Apprentice: 09 Expressionswith Chris Meyer1h 39m Intermediate
Mograph Techniques: Retiming and Tracking Footagewith Ian Robinson2h 46m Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Advanced Photoshop Techniqueswith Ian Robinson2h 12m Intermediate
1. What Are Expressions?
2. Expression Dimensions
4. Expression Language Menu
5. Other Expressions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.