Join Alan Demafiles for an in-depth discussion in this video Parenting to nulls, part of After Effects CC 2018: Editors and Post Essential Training.
- [Instructor] Oftentimes in After Effects,…we want to have one layer inherit the…transformations of another layer.…The act of making one layer follow another…is known as parenting.…And it can make your work flow much more efficient.…Through parenting, any layer can then pass down…it's animation to any of it's child layers.…Here, we'll look at parenting to other layers,…as well as parenting to nulls,…since they have the added benefit of not being renderable.…In this example, I have layer one animating in scale,…from zero to 50 percent.…And, all these other layers are not moving along with it.…
And so, if I wanted to make layer two, for instance,…follow along with layer one, well, traditionally…I would have to come here to layer two…and enable the keyframe for the position and scale.…And, let's work backwards here, and I know that's okay.…Looks like it's hovering over in this area.…And then now I need to take my scale,…and make that down to zero.…Let's see what that looks like.…I'd have to finesse it some more.…
- Linking Premiere Pro and After Effects dynamically
- Navigating timeline layers
- Working with keyframes
- Precomping elements
- Animating mask reveals and tracking masks
- Creating elements with shape layers
- Animating shapes and text
- Working with Illustrator files
- Animating a logo
- Creating 3D type extrusions
- Creating a simple camera in Z-space montage
- Keying video with Keylight
- Batch rendering and Dynamic Link rendering
Skill Level Intermediate
After Effects Guru: Creating Presets and Controllerswith Nick Harauz1h 29m Intermediate
1. How After Effects Is Different from Premiere
2. Working with Masks and Shapes
3. Working with Type and Logos
4. Working with Stills and Video
5. Outputting Media
6. Example Techniques
7. Challenge: Put Your Skills into Practice
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.