Connecting the layers in hierarchy further establishes control of one layer's movements with the movements of another. Learn about how parenting character parts can help enhance your workflow.
- [Instructor] Parenting in After Effects … involves connecting one layer to another, … the result of that connection sees … the child layer inheriting all … the transform properties from the parent, … including position, scale and rotation. … Parenting can see several child layers … it can also form more complex hierarchies, … where parent layers are parented to yet another layer. … Here in this movie, we'll see how … we can set up a hierarchy using parenting. … Here in this example I've got my character … and he may or may not be working in After Effects, … illustrator layers, now before we move on … with the parenting process, I do want to maximize … the screen real estate here, so to do that … and just make sure that my Parent & Link is enabled … and with that column selected, … I'll just drag that over next to the layer name. … since we're not really using it, … so I'll just right click and say Hide This. … and nudge it up here next to the project tab and you can see … that we gain all of this vertical screen real estate, …
- Shape layers and masks
- Track mattes
- Rigging characters
- Using the Puppet tool for rigging
- Adding and adjusting keyframes
- Looping animation
- Animating with motion paths and motion sketch
- Adding cameras for multiplane environments
- Lighting animation
- Rendering animation
Skill Level Beginner
After Effects CC 2019 New Featureswith Mark Christiansen34m 12s Intermediate
1. Working with Layers and Shapes
2. Rigging Character Controls
3. Working with Animation
4. Creating Multiplane Environments
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.